Frequently Asked Questions
Start Here: Basics & Essentials
The California Coast 500 is the original and greatest California summer mileage program. That's our story and we're sticking to it. Runners, walkers and cross trainers will make their way up Highway 1 from the Santa Monica Pier to San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. You'll be able to choose from 100, 250, 400 or 500 mileage goals, plus enjoy the endless summer feature for those continuing on beyond 500 miles.
Learn more on our How-To page.
Participants will receive an Instructions email a few days prior to the Memorial Day, Monday, May 31 start confirming they are on the leaderboard and ready to toe the virtual line on Santa Monica's Pier.
Two options - you can use either, or mix both:
No! We have partnered with PWR Lab to provide automated tracking through compatible devices OR the ability to manually enter your results and track your progress.
PWR Lab is currently compatible with Apple Watch (NEW!), Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and COROS. We recommend that Suunto users sync to Suunto App rather than Movescount.
Uploading FIT files, GPX files, screenshots, etc. is not supported in order to get Verified results. Strava is not compatible.
NO GPS DEVICE PRO TIP: If you do not have a supported GPS device, but carry a phone while you run, you can download the FREE Suunto App and use the app's GPS activity recorder to sync with PWR Lab.
PWR Lab is a running analytics company created to help runners avoid training injuries by connecting big data with sport science. The platform helps runners of any level predict risk, prevent injury, and perform optimally.
You’re eligible to redeem a free trial on their platform – no credit card info needed, no obligation, no risk – which begins when you create your account.
Ideally: use the same email address you used to register for the race. PWR Lab will automatically send your data to your bib number on the leaderboard.
If you used different email addresses:
- Log in to the Event My Results tool using your registration email and bib number
- Navigate to Account
- Link your PWR Lab account to your bib number (will need PWR Lab email + password)
Registration & Participant Information
During your registration you can select from one of three categories:
- Solo Effort – take a running or walking journey up Highway 1 on your own. Individuals can still be on teams.
- Relay – participate with others to complete the California Coast 500. Relay teams will have their own dedicated map to show team progress up Highway 1. Participants will also show up on the individual leaderboard.
- Cross Training: New for 2021 is a category to convert your minutes and hours to miles and compete with others cross-training their way up the California Coast. The Cross Training category will be separate from the Solo Run/Walk and Relay categories. We will provide a minutes to miles conversion chart for a number of the most popular types of activities like cycling, gym time, surfing and more.
California Coast 500 medal and merchandise such as the official event shirt or purchased gear is estimated to be delivered at the end of August. Participant packages will be shipped prior to the Labor Day weekend ahead of the conclusion of this year's summer mileage challenge.
Your age is calculated based on the last day of the 2021 California Challenge – September 6th. The age you are on September 6th will determine how your age is calculated.
The green Verified badge is reserved for participants who have uploaded 100% Verified data through PWR Lab.
Uploading FIT files, GPX files, screenshots, etc. is not supported in order to get Verified results.
Yes! A $30 International shipping & handling fee will apply to participants registering from outside of the United States. Make sure you select the international shipping option during registration.
Verified (auto-sync via PWR Lab) Results
If you have a PWR Lab account, your device is linked, and the emails match between PWR Lab and your Race Roster registration, you're good to go.
If your email does not match, there's a one-time step to get PWRL data flowing to your bib number. You can access the Profile page within PWR Lab to link a device, even if the free trial has expired. No need to pay for a subscription to get the data flowing through to the leaderboard.
You can login to your California Coast 500 leaderboard account with your race bib # and email. From there you will be able to remove any activities you do not wish to count toward the event.
Check to make sure that:
- You synced your device to the app/service (eg Garmin Connect). PWR Lab does not sync directly to your watch, but receives activity data from services like Garmin & Suunto after you sync to them.
- You have waited a few minutes (up to 15) for Garmin/Suunto/etc to send the activity to PWR Lab, and for PWR Lab to process it for the leaderboard after syncing your device. (Suunto users: Movescount is really slow. Use Suunto App)
- You have refreshed the leaderboard page to load the newest data
- The activity was recorded as a running activity, and not any other type (walking, biking, etc). Changing an activity to running after the fact will not allow the activity to sync.
- The activity was recorded after you registered for the event. Think about your time of registration as the time you cross the starting line: anything recorded before that cannot be counted with Verified results.
- You did not unlink your device from your PWR Lab account (you can see this on the Profile page, even if your free trial has expired).
Only activities recorded specifically as a "running" (or "trail running") activity will be imported, analyzed, and verified for the leaderboard. If you want to include walks, hikes, steps, or anything else you can either record them as runs, or use the manual upload to account for that mileage.
When in doubt, you can always upload treadmill results using manual entry, but some watches also support Treadmill modes that are compatible with PWR Lab:
Many newer GPS watches have the option to “Calibrate Distance” after completing a treadmill run. On a Garmin, record the activity specifically as a treadmill run. After stopping the watch – but before saving the activity – scroll down to “Calibrate and Save”, and enter the total distance displayed on the treadmill.
If you record the run and save it without calibrating / adjusting the distance, then it is likely to be very inaccurate. Also note that if you run on a treadmill without selecting a specific treadmill mode, then the distance calculated using GPS will be very small (close to 0), because you’re not moving away from the treadmill.
Note that adjusting the distance in Garmin Connect after you have saved & submitted the activity will not change the data that is sent to PWR Lab or the leaderboard. Resources: Garmin Article, YouTube Video
PWR Lab is a running analytics company created to help runners avoid training injuries. The app is designed to import historical running activity, learn your personal baseline, and then give you completely customized training guidance and injury risk forecasting.
We are extending a free trial of PWR Lab to all our participants, which you're welcome to use for automated mileage tracking during the event. If you do not wish to redeem your free trial and link a device then no worries at all – there is a manual entry option and none of your data will need to flow through PWR Lab. If you do choose to link your device, your historical activities may be imported for the sake of establishing that baseline, and linked services will continue to send new activities until you deactivate the link.
If your free access PWR Lab expires, your participation in the event is NOT impacted! Your GPS data will continue to automatically upload to the leaderboard, even if you choose not to subscribe to PWR Lab. There’s absolutely no obligation.
- When signing up for PWR Lab, you can authorize a connection between another running data service (eg Garmin Connect) and PWR Lab.
- This allows that service to send activities that you have recorded on your watch/phone and then uploaded. PWR Lab does not actually connect to your watch or track you: your activities are simply pushed through your Garmin Connect, Suunto App, Polar Flow, COROS, etc. account to the platform.
- This authorization remains intact until you choose to disable it. Even if your free trial expires, the account can continue sending your results to the race leaderboard.
- You can disable the link between PWR Lab and your connected services at any time.
- After connecting your service to PWR Lab, a green link/unlink icon will be displayed on your Profile page. To unlink your account at any time, navigate to the Profile page, scroll to the bottom, and select “unlink”.
- You can access the Profile page and do this at any time, even if your free trial has expired.
Manual Entry (Honor System) Submissions
Log in to the My Results tool for the event using your registration email & bib number.
Visit the PWR Leaderboard and search for your name. Your BIB # will be directly below your name.
Be sure to use the same email address that you used to register for the event, and the bib number that was assigned to you. Incorrect combinations will not be allowed to access the tool.
There may also be a slight lag time between your registration and when you are fully added to the event. Normally this should take effect within a few hours, and never more than a day. If you name appears on the leaderboard, you've been added.
Even if there is a lag before you can get into the tool, all your results from after registration will count. Once you gain access you will be able to add results for registration day and beyond. Contact us if you continue to have trouble beyond 24 hours.
We ask that you keep the most important pieces of this event in mind: Community!
All manual submissions are completely on the honor system. Unrealistic results are often honest mistakes and can be corrected in the Results & Profile tool.
You can also filter the Leaderboard to see Verified results in order to eliminate honor system entries and view only the results that are backed up by GPS data that is verified by PWR Lab.
About Run Local & Contacting Us
The California Coast 500 is proud to support Steph & Ayesha Curry's Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation.
Learn more on our fundraising page.
Since 2012, Run Local has brought locally produced events to the San Francisco Bay Area celebrating its runners, artists, and the unique diversity of each region. The annual Bay Area series of events includes the San Jose 408K Race to the Row (February), San Jose Shamrock Run 5K & 10K (March), Silicon Valley Half (April), Across the Bay 12K & 5K (July), the East Bay 510K – 5K & 10K (October) and the Santa Barbara Half Marathon (November).
We've also launched two virtual events– the California Coast 500 and the California Challenge
For more information, visit RunLocalEvents.com and join us on social @RunLocalEvents.
Contact Run Local's customer support team at [email protected] Messages are typically responded to within 24 hours.